Located at the spot where via Torrearsa (formerly ‘via degli Scultori’ ie Sculptors’ street) intersects with Corso Vittorio Emanuele (former ‘Rua Grande’), the Senate Palace was built on the site of the ancient ‘Loggia dei Pisani’, which is why, even today , the space in front is called the Loggia.
Its origins date back to the 15th century but its radical restoration took place in the second half of the 17th century.
Its façade, completed in the early 18th century, was built at the expense of Knight Hospitaller Giacomo Cavarretta. It was designed by architect Andrea Palma who was obliged to respect the width of Rua Grande- of which the baroque façade was going to be the backdrop.
It spreads over three levels: the uppermost houses three niches with statues of the Madonna di Trapani (in the middle), St. Albert, a local saint, and St. John the Baptist (on the sides) sculpted by Giuseppe Nolfo between 1701 and 1702.
The two elements at roof level containing a clock and a calendar, on the sides of the royal eagle, were added in 1827.
Adjoining the palace is the former ‘Porta Oscura’ (litt. Dark Gate) with the clock tower.