In the locality of Scurati, there is a small village dominated by the cliffs of Mount Cofano and surrounded by natural caves, some of which are used by shepherds and local farmers.
The largest, the Mangiapane cave, has a tiny hamlet built inside it along a corridor paved with stones and pebbles. It is named after the family that lived there, in tiny homes from 1819 until 1950.
Approximately 60 metres high and 70 metres deep, it has been used by man since the Upper Paleolithic period, as shown by the artifacts found inside it.
In the early 19th century the Mangiapane family built five small two-storey houses, a warehouse and two barns on the site. Other rooms and a large oven were built by closing the bottom of the cave. Outside cottages were built, and a smaller cave was used as a sheep pen.