Mpisu Tower

‘Mpisu Tower

The Tower of ‘Mpisu (or Impisu, ie the hanged man) (original name: Jazzolino), along with the other coastal towers in the San Vito area, was built in 1583 by Florentine architect Camillo Camilliani, commissioned by the then Viceroy to organize the island’s coastal defenses against pirate raids: it has a a square base and a very large cistern for collecting rainwater.

As a rule three torrari (guardians) lived there- military personnel responsible for guarding and signaling danger with smoke and fire (fani). Because of its elevated position it must have been able  to communicate not only with the neighbouring towers but also with those of Bonagia and Monte San Giuliano (Erice) .