Overlooking the square of the same name, in the centre of which is the eighteenth-century fountain monument, the Church of the Purgatory of Marsala was originally the Church of Saints Fabiano and Sebastiano, whose statue stands out on the sumptuous main facade, framed by the two side bell towers.
The building, with an evident Baroque imprint, was enlarged after a plague and since 1601 has welcomed the Congregation of the Souls of Purgatory, from which it takes its name.
Renovated in 1669 and completed in 1710, it is a moment of perfect union with the architecture and the urban context.
The church has a Latin cross basilica plan, with three naves a transept and a high, elegant dome. There are numerous eighteenth-century frescoes inside, as well as valuable stucco ornaments.