The ‘Torre dell’Usciere’ (ie. usher’s tower) or simply Scieri, along with the other two called Mpisu and Isulidda, was part of the coastal towers designed in 1583 by Florence-born architect Camillo Camilliani.
He was given the task of creating a system of towers to defend Sicily against pirates who infested the Mediterranean . Like all other towers by Camilliani it has a square base with a strong embankment to house the cistern and storage for ammunition.
A square room divided in two parts for the ‘torrari‘ (guardians) is located on the first floor; on top is the terrace where artillery was placed and where the signals (fani) with smoke and fire were sent up.
No locations found.