Web

TRAPANI

The Greeks called it Drepanon, sickle, the Romans Drepanum, reconnecting the city’s origin to the myth of Ceres, goddess of grain crops, who desperate to find her kidnapped daughter Persephone, lost  the sickle she was holding in her hand, precisely where Trapani appeared. The layout of the city –  a double sickle that juts into the sea almost dividing the Tyrrhenian Sea from the Mediterranean, still  refers back to the ancient name.

Trapani’s Elymian-Punic origins saw its emergence as Erice’s port and fishing village. Hamilcar Barca around 260 BC built the Castello di terra (Castle on the Land) and the Sea Castle,  the first facilities of the city defensive system. For centuries, Trapani’s history and economy have always been strongly connected to the sea, due to the favourable position of its port, facilitating trade with Africa. Trapani became particularly important under the Arabs to whom we owe the layout of the oldest urban fabric. James of Aragon in 1286 enlarged it, while Emperor Charles V, stopping over in Trapani on return from Tunis in 1535, ordered the extension of the walls to the west.

It has a picturesque historical centre which in the oldest part, preserves paved streets and houses with courtyards of Arabic influence.

The wealth of the architectural heritage from the 14th to the 20th century is represented by the 14th  century churches of St. Augustine and St. Dominic with characteristic Chiaramonte Gothic rose windows, the beautiful church of Santa Maria di Gesù in late-Gothic style, the 16th century Giudecca in Plateresque style with a tower covered in diamond pointed bossages, the 17th century Palazzo Senatorio, the baroque church of the Jesuit College, internally decorated with magnificent stucco and variegated marbles, the austere cathedral of San Lorenzo (17th cent.), with a narthex by Trapani’s own G. B. Amico.
No less significant outside the historic centre is the 14th-century Sanctuary of the Annunciation, with a rose window on the main façade and remarkable 14th and 15th-century chapels. Next to the Sanctuary rises the former convent of the Carmelites, now the Regional Museum “Agostino Pepoli”, with a splendid  cloister.

Outside the historical centre is the 14th-century sanctuary of the Annunciation, home to the precious marble statue of the Madonna di Trapani, by Nino Pisano (c.1360). The adjacent former convent of the Carmelites is now the seat of  the “A. Pepoli ” Regional Museum which houses collections of paintings, sculptures and decorative arts; and a well documented production of Trapani coral, with works from the 17th and 18th centuries.

DA NON PERDERE

  • Chiesa-Santa-Maria-del-Gesu-Trapani

    Church of ‘SANTA MARIA DEL GESÙ’

    The Franciscan church is one of the most significant in the old town for its attractive late-Gothic form. It...

  • Cattedrale

    Church of San Lorenzo

    The cathedral of San Lorenzo has ancient origins that date back to year 1102; renovated in the first half...

  • Processione dei Misteri7

    The ‘Mysteries’ of Trapani

    The Misteri (Mysteries), ie groups of statues depicting scenes from the Passion of Christ, appeared in Trapani in the...

  • Piazza Ex Mercato del Pesce

    Fish Market Plaza

    Used until a few years ago for the sale of fish, with its characteristic counters, the Piazza in its...

  • palazzo senatorio

    Senate Palace

    Located at the spot where via Torrearsa  (formerly ‘via degli Scultori’ ie Sculptors’ street) intersects with  Corso Vittorio Emanuele...

  • coralli3

    The ‘Agostino Pepoli’ Regional Museum

    The ‘Agostino Pepoli’ Regional Museum is one the city’s most prestigious institution and is located in the former convent...

  • giudecca1

    Giudecca or the Ciambra Palace

    The Giudecca, so-called because of its location in the ancient Jewish quarter of the city, was built in the...

  • coralli2

    Coral: history and tradition

    The history of of Trapani’s coral manufacture has remote origins and already in the 12th century the Arab traveller...

  • colombaia1

    The Dovecote

    According to tradition, the Sea Castle, commonly known as ‘Colombaia’ (Dovecote), was built by Hamilcar Barca on a small...

  • chiesa purgatorio5

    Baroque churches and the Trapani ‘barocchetto’

    In the 17th century Trapani maintained its loyalty to the kingdom of Spain. While in Rome the formal solutions...

Questo sito utilizza cookies tecnici e di terze parti per funzionalità quali la condivisione sui social network e/o la visualizzazione di media. Chiudendo questo banner, cliccando in un'area sottostante o accedendo ad un'altra pagina del sito, acconsenti all’uso dei cookie. Se non acconsenti all'utilizzo dei cookie di terze parti, alcune di queste funzionalità potrebbero essere non disponibili. Per maggiori informazioni consulta la pagina Privacy policy

Questo sito utilizza i cookie per fonire la migliore esperienza di navigazione possibile. Continuando a utilizzare questo sito senza modificare le impostazioni dei cookie o clicchi su "Accetta" permetti al loro utilizzo.

Chiudi