Monuments and archaeological sites

18_ITINERARI_monumenti_GAC

Monuments and archaeological sites

The monumental route begins from Trapani, capital city of the former Province, with its characteristic historical centre – the oldest part of which preserves paved streets and houses with courtyards of Arabic influence.
Along the main streets baroque churches and buildings stand out: noteworthy façades include ‘Palazzo Milo’ on Via Garibaldi, ‘Palazzo Senatorio’ (ie Senate or City Council) on Via Torrearsa, the ‘Chiesa del Collegio dei Gesuiti’ on Corso Vittorio Emanuele: the latter has a richly decorated interior of marble and plaster.

Along the same street is the Cathedral of San Lorenzo, built on a chapel of the Genoa Consulate, presumably of the 11th century, rebuilt in the 17th, with an 18th century portico.
The church of Purgatory (17th century) with an 18th century façade deserves a visit. It houses the sculpted statues of the Mysteries, made in papier-maché (ie wood, canvas and glue), depicting episodes from the Passion of Christ, which are carried in procession on Good Friday.
Not to be missed- the 14th century church of Sant’Agostino (on piazzetta Saturno) with a rose window in chiaramontano Gothic style, and San Domenico (on Piazza San Domenico), which enshrines a Gothic wooden crucifix and three 13th century frescoes in a chapel behind the apse.
Outside of the historical centre lies the 14th century sanctuary of the Annunciation, home to the precious marble statue of the Trapani Madonna, attributed to Nino Pisano (around 1360). The adjacent former Carmelite convent is home to the Regional Museum “A. Pepoli” which includes collections of paintings, sculptures and decorative arts with a well documented collection of coral produced in the Trapani area, with pieces from the 17th and 18th centuries.

After Trapani, the next leg of the monumental route is certainly Erice, a town on the summit of the mountain of the same name, at 751 metres above sea level. Of ancient Elymian origins, it was then inhabited by Carthaginians, Romans, Byzantines, Arabs and Normans. Its narrow streets, paved with cobblestones still preserve its medieval feel.

The north-west stretch of the city walls still remains, the so-called “Cyclopean” walls: built by the Elymians (8th century BC), reinforced by the Carthaginians (6th century BC) and then much later completed by the Normans (12th century AD). Along them are three gates: Porta Spada (ie Sword’s Gate), Porta Carmine, and Porta Trapani.
An interesting monument is the Mother-Church with the nearby bell tower. Built in the 14th century, the church interior was completely renovated in the 19th century. The church contains valuable works of art including a marble altar by Giuliano Mancino (1533). The bell tower is from the 13th century with elements of chiaramontano Gothic style.
You can also visit the Norman castle, built on the ruins of the temple of Venus, the Balio gardens, the ‘Museum hub’ collecting significant archaeological evidence found in Erice and its surroundings, as well as paintings and sculptures, including an Annunciation by Antonello Gagini (1525) and other artifacts of local artisan manufacture.
Heading down from the summit of Erice you reach the hilly area of Valderice. A must visit- the enchanting Sanctuary of ‘Our Lady of Mercy’ (‘Santuario di Maria Santissima della Misericordia’) erected on the site of a shrine which housed a Madonna with miraculous powers. Built between the 17th and 18th centuries, it was completed by Trapani-born architect Biagio Amico. Also of interest, the so-called Arco del Cavaliere, the remainder of an old square chapel used to house the sacred picture of the Madonna of Custonaci during its transportation between Custonaci and Erice.

Set in the municipal pine forest, an open air theatre created in a disused quarry comes to life during the summer season hosting important cultural events. Worth visiting- the Molino Excelsior, the largest grain-milling facility in the area that worked from the early 1900’s until the end of the 60’s and can still be visited. It now houses a cooking workshop and a lecture hall.
Descending from the town centre of Valderice towards the sea, along the road where 19th-century villas and lush gardens stand out, we arrive in the picturesque fishing port of Bonagia. There the impressive tower of the ‘tonnara’-fortress (16th-17th century) rises, that is now a small museum to the adjacent tuna-fishing facility. The tonnara itself, despite being transformed into a hotel, still retains the character of the old structure; the storerooms on the ground floor and the living area on the first floor face onto the large inner courtyard.

 

TO SEE

  • palazzo senatorio

    Senate Palace

    Located at the spot where via Torrearsa  (formerly ‘via degli Scultori’ ie Sculptors’ street) intersects with  Corso Vittorio Emanuele...

  • coralli3

    The ‘Agostino Pepoli’ Regional Museum

    The ‘Agostino Pepoli’ Regional Museum is one the city’s most prestigious institution and is located in the former convent...

  • giudecca1

    Giudecca or the Ciambra Palace

    The Giudecca, so-called because of its location in the ancient Jewish quarter of the city, was built in the...

  • colombaia1

    The Dovecote

    According to tradition, the Sea Castle, commonly known as ‘Colombaia’ (Dovecote), was built by Hamilcar Barca on a small...

  • chiesa purgatorio5

    Baroque churches and the Trapani ‘barocchetto’

    In the 17th century Trapani maintained its loyalty to the kingdom of Spain. While in Rome the formal solutions...

  • Chiesa di Sant'Agostino

    Church of St. Augustine

    Built in 1101 as a chapel of the Knights Templar and dedicated to St. John the Baptist, in 1314...

  • Chiesa San Domenico

    Church and Convent of San Domenico

    The Dominicans arrived in Trapani in the early 13th century (circa1221-1229) and initially settled in the Jewish quarter, in...

  • san liberale

    Church of San Liberante

    It was built in the early 17th century by Trapani’s coral hunters, in thanksgiving for the find of a...

  • chiesa purgatorio2

    Church of Purgatory

    The church was designed by architect Pietro Castro at the behest of Rev. Domenico Viola and built in 1688....

  • Molino Excelsior 2

    Molino Excelsior

      It is a significant record of industrial archeology, interesting for both its machinery which still exists within and...

Questo sito utilizza cookies tecnici e di terze parti per funzionalità quali la condivisione sui social network e/o la visualizzazione di media. Chiudendo questo banner, cliccando in un'area sottostante o accedendo ad un'altra pagina del sito, acconsenti all’uso dei cookie. Se non acconsenti all'utilizzo dei cookie di terze parti, alcune di queste funzionalità potrebbero essere non disponibili. Per maggiori informazioni consulta la pagina Privacy policy

Questo sito utilizza i cookie per fonire la migliore esperienza di navigazione possibile. Continuando a utilizzare questo sito senza modificare le impostazioni dei cookie o clicchi su "Accetta" permetti al loro utilizzo.

Chiudi