It is a significant record of industrial archeology, interesting for both its machinery which still exists within and its early 20th century architectural structure with decorative motifs of the Art Nouveau style.
The façade with simple lines, broken only by the series of arched windows, is enhanced by an arched pediment containing the sign ‘Molino Excelsior’ and a relief depicting the goddess Ceres on a cart being pulled by an eagle, with the motto “Industriousness overpasses mountains” .
The factory, designed for grinding grain, was founded in 1904 by Vincenzo Gervasi; the machinery in cast iron, steel and larch, provided by the Swiss Italian company “Buhler Brothers” which was also responsible for the plant design, was driven by a combustive gas engine: The production cycle was active until the early 60’s of the last century. In 1997 the mill was bought by the Valderice City Council, which after properly restoring it have dedicated part to be a museum and part to house the local office which organises cultural activities.
No locations found.