Along the road that once led from Erice to Custonaci in the former trazzera of knight Rizzuto or ‘road of the Knight’, near an ancient drinking trough, lie the disheveled remains of a chapel which was used to house the painting of ‘Our Lady of Custonaci’ ( sec . XVI ), during its transportation from Custonaci to Erice and vice versa from 1568 to 1936.
It was originally a square structure, open on all sides by a large archway. Here the faithful would stopover to refresh themselves and partake of bread and cheese during the ” transport “.
The locals would offer food to the bearers of the sacred image, who had subjected themselves to such hard labour.
No locations found.